Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wedding planning check-in

You know, "they" say that you shouldn't co-habitate for too long before getting married. Some feel it is less of a commitment to live together unmarried. I don't agree with this statement, but I don't want to go into it because that is not really the point I am wanting to make. I think the thing that really solidifies a commitment is not the actual marriage ceremony, certificate, or the legality of it all; but instead is the process of planning a major project together. How else can two people discover what is important to them, how they handle stress, how they prioritize and how they accomplish goals than the planning of a wedding?

I have learned so much about myself, about Brandon, and about how we operate as a couple during this process. We've gotten annoyed at one another, disagreed, agreed, cried (well, just me), gotten excited and conceded varying aspects throughout the planning. And I suspect its going to get even more intense as the countdown continues. (Which is exactly 30 days from today - but whos counting?)

I would have to say that the wedding planning is actually not the hardest thing that we have been through in our relatively short time of coupledom, but it has definitely been quite the reaffirming process. It reminds me of the things I love about Brandon, the things I love about us, and the things I want to make even better. We seem to be able to balance each other out in a lot of ways I have never had in my life before. It excites me that if we can get through this (but of course we can!) then we can take on other challenges together in the future, and perhaps with even more ease and confidence than ever!

1 comment: