Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This is The Place


We got a letter in the mail yesterday from the United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management. When I first saw the envelope I wondered "WTF?" then realized it was from the BLM office in Moab, Utah. Inside was this letter that I am quite excited to have. I know the picture is totally fuzzy and I in no way expect you to be able to read it (but go ahead and try if you must).

It is giving us permission to have our wedding on BLM land, at the location we chose, on the day and time we asked for. Also enclosed was a topo map showing the spot we are approved for. Its funny, when we first thought about getting married "in the middle of nowhere" we figured, hey since its the middle of nowhere, who is going to care, right? But BCH, with that little edge of anxiety he has that can work to his advantage, figured he should call the BLM and ask if there was anything we needed to do.

A couple phone calls followed by some emails, we now have Government approval to hold our ceremony in one of the most scenic places in the world (I might be a little biased, who knows?). And guess how much the rental fee is for our wedding location? Nothing (other than being a law abiding tax paying citizen my whole life - finally - I get something for free from the Government!)

I'm very excited about this, it makes me tempted to post some pictures of "the spot". But we decided to keep it a secret (not that anyone is really going to be crushed about or anything) until our wedding day so our guests will see it upon arrival instead of on the internet first. I can't wait!

6 comments:

JB said...

That's so freakin awesome Bonnie! OMG! I just have these images in my head of a white dress against red rock! Assuming you're wearing white and that it's red rock, but that's what comes up in my brain.

Did I ruin it the surprise?

Also, are you just going to bus people there? How will you let them know where to go? OMG! This is so amazing!

JB said...

OMG My word verification for that 2nd comment was "cicret". How serendipitous is that?

Meadow said...

I love Moab and think it is a beautiful location for a wedding. Keeping "the spot" a secret is a good plan. It adds to the mystery of the day.

Brannie said...

Joce - we aren't having too many people there, so the plan is to meet ahead of time at the condo we are renting, and then caravan together. Its the easiest way to get everyone to the right place, AND on time! Yes, I'm wearing white (white these days in wedding attire is really eggshell or ivory or ecru, but you get the idea) and against the red rock, it will be awesome. You didn't ruin anything :)

Jillzey said...

I'm glad that you officially got permission. We would have gone there anyway. :) I'm excited to see the spot.

Kristen Spencer said...

Who's your wedding photog??? I am very interested in this one!!!!